Monday 20 August 2012

Summer fun

The Summer (such as is) has really flown which means I must have been having fun :) It's been a busy time as I have been to stitch camp (aka  Textile Study Group Summer School ) looking at colour with the awesome Ruth Issett. Had a lovely time with a wonderful bunch of people, all far more accomplished than me, but they didn't mind having a 'pesky little sister' type tagging along, and I learned so much from them as well as Ruth. I'll share more about this at a later date.

I also went to the Festival of Quilts at the NEC at the weekend - very inspiring, and if you haven't been I'd definitely recommend you go at some point. The next 'biggy' is of course the Knitting & Stitching Show at Ally Pally in London on the 10-14th October. Robi's creative fabric journal workshops starts on the 13th October, so may be a busy weekend.............

I've also been frantically trying to get my coursework finished for the Linda & Laura Kemshall on-line creative sketchbooks course I started last year (always think I have more time/can do more than is actually possible!!!!). This has been really helpful and am starting to make some half decent pages!


This page involved a crack at lino cutting & printing - something I'm looking forward to doing more of with Mary's Printmaking course at Gorseinon in Sept, which is just around the corner! And so it's only a few weeks til our first Stitches Coven meet - Yay! Really looking forward to catching up with everyone :)

2 comments:

  1. Loving your sketchbook page Donna. I bet you really enjoyed completing your course. I had a peak at Laura and Linda's website and feeling pretty inspired, so I'm going to tackle a project that has been on the back burner for some time now. I've been saving biscuit tins, that I am going to cover in coordinated mixed media textiles and use them as storage tins. I'll take some photos and upload them. I'll also take some photos of my latest projects too.

    Looking forward to our first 'Stiches Coven' meeting next week. Exciting times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sound of your storage tins - I'm always puzzling over how best to store my stuff (which is of course in no way a strategy for procrastinating from actually doing something!!)- in the vain hope of some day triumphing over the complete chaos I invariably seem to become engulfed in. My latest tip I found on a crafty blog (and apologies I can't remember whose)is re storing fabrics - make a large card 'bobbin' and wrap the fabric round it - then it'll stand up in a draw or on a shelf easily - if it's in a draw its also dead easy to see at a glance what colours etc you have. And you can also write on your care what it is and where you got it - I've done 2 like this so far and it looks great, but like the ironing pile, I'm not sure I'll be able to keep on top of it!!

    ReplyDelete