Sunday 18 March 2012

Creative use of Text Workshop

Attended Mary's Creative Text workshop on Saturday which was really enjoyable and inspiring - not that this shows with my poor little sample!

I did have a go with a calligraphy pen too - but think I need to practice that a little more!  I think it is worth persevering though despite the patience required, as well formed text can really give something the edge. We looked at using text as a form of drawing rather than simply for annotating, and Mary introduced us to the work of calligraphy artist Dennis Brown who, in his own words, works to:

" push boundaries while continually refining and extending traditional skills. I use letterforms and writing to create three-dimensional layered works of art where a thousand words may paint a picture. At a time in history where handwriting is being eclipsed by e-mail, text messaging and other digital means of communication, my work explores the meaning and function of being a scribe in the 21st century."

 
 This picture is taken from his website called quillskill where he has a number of amazing artworks to view.

  Also discovered the joys of gouache paints too which I've not used before, so off to the Range we go!!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you had a lot of fun Donna! Dennis Brown's website is amazing. It may have inspired me to practice using my caligraphy pen. I'll have to brush the dust of it first.

    ReplyDelete