Wednesday 7 March 2012

Venice Skyline


This is one of 3 panels that will be added to a large piece of quilted taffeta creating either a wall hanging or headboard for my bedroom.

As a novice to quilting I was undecided on what pattern to use, so I thought the easiest was to use a 'thumbprint' design following the  rooftop line of St Marks' Basillica.  This particular panel has a lighter sky and my intention is to paint onto the fabric to replicate either a sunrise or sunset . .  . decisions, decisions!


The fabric started off as a piece of white polycotton, that I coloured using a tie dye technique with procion dye.  Before releasing the ties on the fabricI dipped the pointed tips in a pot of melted wax.  I like the added texture that the wax creates and have decided to leave it in the fabric.  I have a feeling I could regret this in the future.  My bedroom faces south and can get pretty hot . . .yey hey! I can just see the wax melting, let's hope when it does that it adds to the piece,rather than creating a mighty disaster?   The lighter streaks were created by brushing pure undiluted bleach onto the fabric to take our some of the colour and add a little interest.

I'll take more photos and keep you updated on how my Venice Skyline develops.

1 comment:

  1. These are really LARVELY Angie!!! I like the contour quilting too - works well with the skyline theme.
    I've not really done much this week - so just as well the class was cancelled as nothing to show!! I tried out the printing block I was making in my sketchbook, but that's about it!! Will have to knuckle down over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete